Day 1 The Northern Highlands and Kirkwall, Capital of Orkney
Commencing in Inverness we get an early start today to head in to Scotland’s far Northern Highlands. Leaving behind the 'Capital of the Highlands' we cross over the Black Isle and into some of Scotland's most dramatic scenery and through some of Europe's oldest landscapes offering the chance to see wildlife such as golden eagles and red deer. We pass through Scotland's most northerly mainland village, John o' Groats, and then to Gills Bay, where we board the ferry, crossing the Pentland Firth into the Orkney Archipelago. From here it’s a short drive to the famous Italian Chapel where you may get the chance to stop for a visit before continuing to the Viking stronghold of Kirkwall, Capital of Orkney.
Meals: Kirkwall, Orkney
Day 2 Orkney's Prehistoric Sites and Stone-Circles
Our day today is dedicated to exploring this ancient and enchanting island; a land of contrasts we’ll see fertile green pastures fringed by shores of golden sands washed by the icy waters of the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean. We’ll discover pre-history with a visit to the 5,000-year-old village of Skara Brae (older than the Pyramids of Egypt!), the mystical prehistoric stone circle at Brodgar and the Neothilic standing stones of Stenness. Our journey also takes us to Maeshowe, where in the 12th century the Vikings left one of the largest collections of Norse runic inscriptions. By evening we head back to Kirkwall for our overnight stay.
Overnight: Kirkwall, Orkney
Meals: Breakfast included
Day 3 Kirkwall, Dunrobin Castle and Inverness
This morning, enjoy your last chance to grab some gifts from Kirkwall for your friends and family; a stroll quick stroll will offer a chance to see Kirkwall's magnificent Viking Cathedral and its historic winding streets. After a short drive to the picturesque town of St Margaret’s Hope, we’ll hop on a ferry back to the mainland. Once we’re off the ferry you travel through the history-soaked region of Sutherland. Here you’ll find out about the highland clearances, get a glimpse of some Scotland’s most remote fishing villages and see the imperious Dunrobin Castle. We arrive back in Inverness early evening.
Meals: Breakfast included
*Journey times and distances are estimates and are based on the direct route between the start location and end location for each day of the itinerary, where applicable. They do not include detours or stops for sightseeing.
- 2 nights in charming hotel accommodation (minimum 3* standard).
- Full Scottish breakfast each morning.
- All transportation by luxury mini-coach.
- Ferry crossings as required.
- Maximum group-size of 18 passengers for that intimate touring experience.
- Services of a professional driver/guide.
- Expert local advice during the planning of your trip.
- Postage of your vacation documents pack.
- Attraction entry/attraction admission (this tour focuses on providing free time in various locations and allows you to choose which sites/attractions you may want to see during your visit).
- Pre or post tour hotel accommodation in Inverness.
- Rail travel or passes for transport to/from inverness before after the tour.
- Airport transfers or transport to/from London airports before or after your tour.
Please Note: All accommodation is minimum 3* rated and guarantees private / en-suite bathroom facilities. Specific accommodation is selected and allocated after confirmation of your booking. As tour accommodation is allocated after confirmation of the tour booking not all tour participants stay in the same establishment. Please advise if you are travelling with other guests under a different reference and we can confirm accommodation together in the same property.
Departure Dates 2018/19
We are very sorry, there are no available dates for this tour at this time.
Please contact us to discuss similar tours which may still be available or for dates into the 2018/19 travel season.
Single supplements apply for single occupancy rooms, please ask for a quotation for details.
This tour starts in Inverness at 8am on the first day of travel and returns to Inverness in the evening on the final day of travel. If you require pre or post tour accommodation in central Inverness, please let us know.
- Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room.
- Prices are for land only tours and all tours are subject to availability.
- Prices are correct at the time of publishing to website but are subject to confirmation at time of booking.
- Prices are in GBP£ currency for approximate amounts in other currencies please contact us.
- All trip details are correct at time of publishing to website however due to the nature of small group tours the itinerary is flexible and is subject to change based on a variety of factors.