- Day 1 Shakespeare's Stratford and Medieval York
Meet your tour director bright and early in central London (close to Victoria Station). Departing the capital head in to the charming Cotswolds and to Stratford-upon-Avon to visit the birthplace of William Shakespeare where you'll see exhibitions and artefacts relating to the life and times of the great Bard. Spend the time admiring the architecture of this quaint town nestled beside the River Avon. Continue north to York and take a walk inside the medieval city walls to see the crooked ‘Shambles’ and gothic masterpiece at York Minster. Tonight, enjoy a Welcome Reception, drinks and fabulous Welcome dinner.
Overnight: Hilton Hotel, York
Meals: Breakfast and dinner included
- Day 2 Edinburgh, Athens of the North
Travelling north we pass through the Yorkshire countryside and cross the border in to Scotland and the rolling landscapes of the Scottish Borders where we pass the spectacular ruins of Jedburgh Abbey, on route to Edinburgh. On a guided city tour of this magnificent city we see highlights such as the elegant Georgian New Town and the rambling medieval old town; we see Edinburgh Castle and Holyroodhouse Palace at the end of the Royal Mile before crossing over to Princes Street past the Sir Walter Scott monument. This evening selected departures attend the spectacular Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
Overnight: Apex Waterloo Place Hotel, Edinburgh
Meals: Breakfast included
- Day 3 The English Lake District and Liverpool
Returning south, we cross the Scottish Lowlands to Gretna Green, a romantic small town on the border where traditionally eloping English couple crossed the border to marry. We then continue to the beautiful English Lake District, a region which inspired painters and poets alike. Here you have the option of taking a cruise along Lake Windermere and steam train ride, a fantastic way of appreciating your stunning surroundings of rugged mountains and secret bays. Later we continue to the lively city of Liverpool which was named as European Capital of culture in 2008 and home-city of the Beatles, here we see the famous Liver Buildings amongst other highlights.
Overnight: Pullman Hotel, Liverpool
Meals: Breakfast included
- Day 4 Historic Chester and Cardiff, Capital of Wales
This morning we leave Liverpool and make our way to nearby former Roman fort town of Chester. Walk along part of the city walls, see the Eastgate Clock, Cathedral, unique black and white timber-fronted ‘Rows’ and remains of the ancient Roman Amphitheatre. After some time to explore, we continue south through the Border Marches before passing into southern Wales where we head for the charming capital city of Cardiff; here we enjoy a brief orientation of this port city before checking in to our hotel located in the heart of the city close the beautiful Cardiff Castle.
Overnight: Clayton Hotel, Cardiff
Meals: Breakfast included
- Day 5 Historic Bath and Stonehenge
Today we cross the Severn Bridge back into England and make our way to the Regency City of Bath. A UNESCO World Heritage City, Bath is bustling with elegant Georgian architecture; we gain views of the avenues and promenades before seeing the 15th century Abbey and visiting the ancient Roman baths which date back the 1st century AD. You can also take a few moments to spot the angels climbing Jacob's Ladder on the 15th century Bath Abbey. By afternoon, we continue on to the mysterious Salisbury Plain for a visit to the enigmatic standing monoliths of Stonehenge. Later we return through the Wiltshire countryside to London where your tour ends.
Overnight: Breakfast included
*Journey times and distances are estimates and are based on the direct route between the start location and end location for each day of the itinerary, where applicable. They do not include detours or stops for sightseeing.
- Discover the fascinating story of the great bard's early years inside the timber-framed building at Shakespeare's Birhtplace.
- Tour Edinburgh with a local expert.
- Visit the ancient Roman Baths with its colonnaded pool filled by natural thermal springs.
- Visit Stonehenge and the mysterious monoliths which date back 3500 years.
- Experience the Edinburgh Military Tattoo on selected departures in August.
- Stratford-upon-Avon: Enjoy the architecture of this pretty town nestled beside the River Avon.
- York: Walk within the city walls to see the glorious Minster and the topsy-turvy 'shambles'.
- Scottish Borders: See the ruins of Jedburgh Abbey.
- Edinburgh: enjoy a guided tour and see the spectacular castle.
- Lake District: Learn about the life of the poet William Wordsworth and enjoy inspiring scenery.
- Liverpool: See the famous Liver Building.
- Chester: Walk by Chester's 'black and white' shopping arcades known as the 'Rows'.
- Cardiff: Enjoy an orientation tour of the Welsh Capital.
- Bath: View Bath Abbey and the fine Georgian architecture.
- Scenic drives: Cotswolds, English Lake District, Northumberland Moors, Welsh Marshes, Severn Bridge.
- 4 x breakfasts
- 1 x evening meal at your hotel in York.
- The 4-star Hilton York hotel is conveniently located within the city walls opposite the historic Clifford's Tower. From here it's an easy stroll to most of the city's major attractions.
- The services of your professional Tour Director.
- All overnight accommodation in premium hotels, as per the tour itinerary, featuring twin rooms and private facilities. All service charges, taxes and porterage are included.
- Enjoy the unique comfort of a luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and on-board restroom.
- Free wi-fi in most hotel rooms or lobbies and available on most touring coaches (subject to availability and signal).
- Personal radio headsets for all guided visits allowing you to wander without missing any commentary.
- A travel wallet with your tour documentation.
- Maximum group-size of 40 passengers on board.
- Pre or post tour hotel accommodation in London.
- Airport transfers or transport to/from your departure/return cities.
- Your tour already includes a comprehensive sightseeing program however some additional excursions may be available to enhance your trip further - these are fully optional and bookable during your tour.
Departure Dates 2019
Please select your preferred tour date from the list below.
* Prices are per person based on two people sharing either a double room or twin room. A single supplement will apply for those bookings where a single room is required.
This tour starts early morning (around 7am) on the first day of travel and returns around 6pm on the final day of travel. If you require pre or post tour accommodation in central London, please let us know.
- Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room.
- Prices are for land only tours and all tours are subject to availability.
- Prices are correct at the time of publishing to website but are subject to confirmation at time of booking.
- Prices are in British Pounds Sterling (GBP£) for approximate costs in other currencies please contact us.
- All trip details are correct at time of publishing to website however are subject to change.