8 days / 7 nights
All of Wales
Yes (subject to rail timetables)
+44 (0)2921 660 747
Rail tour: Explore Scotland by Rail
Cardiff Castle and Cardiff City
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff, Wales
Arriving in Heathrow or Gatwick take a dedicated airport Express rail link in to the city centre before connecting to the national network to make your way to the Welsh Capital. Discover Cardiff from the Edwardian baroque architecture of Cathays park, home to the national museum and gallery of Wales, the Victorian market and shopping arcades or the modern St Davids commercial centre. In the afternoon explore the stunning centrepiece at Cardiff Castle which combines Roman and Norman history with a gloriously lavish Victorian mansion.
Highlights: Cardiff City.
Caerphilly Castle and Cardiff Bay
This morning take the train north to the welsh town of Caerphilly home to a stunning moated 13th century fortress at Caerphilly Castle complete with its famous leaning tower. In the afternoon return to Cardiff and take the short rail trip to the cosmopolitan Cardiff Bay area and Mermaid quay; see the National Assembly for Wales, home of Welsh government, the cultural Millennium Centre, and the Victorian Pierhead building and Norwegian Church both home to arts exhibitions. A stroll along the docks and you'll find a vibrant restaurant and pub scene.
Highlights: Cardiff Bay and Caerphilly Castle.
Medieval Harbour Town Tenby and the Pembrokeshire Coast
Tenby, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Departing Cardiff, the train will take you to West Wales and the glorious Pembrokeshire town of Tenby. One of Wales' best kept secrets, Tenby is home to a bustling natural harbour, Norman Castle and city walls, a labyrinth of cobbled streets and flanked by far reaching, sparkling sandy bays. Time-permitting you may continue by rail through more of the Pembrokshire Coast National Park to Pembroke itself to visit Pembrokeshire Castle.
Journey time: 3 hours 15 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Tenby Town, Pembrokeshire Coast National Park and Pembroke Castle.
The Brecon Beacons, mid Wales and Shrewsbury
Today you'll embark on a spectacular rail journey through the heart of Wales and the Brecon Beacons National Park passing through quaint Welsh towns such as Llandovery and Llandrindod. Passing through the Marches and crossing the border you'll arrive in English border town of Shrewsbury a traditional market town of Tudor timberwork buildings as unique red sandstone castle and Shrewsbury Abbey which inspired the stories of Brother Cadfael.
Journey time: 5 hours and 15 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Brecon Beacons and Shrewsbury.
Conwy Castle and Llandudno
Conwy, North Wales
Another stunning rail route will take you along the Welsh borders area and then alongth e North Wales coast to the town of Conwy. Another of Wales' hidden gems the town seems frozen in time with its traditional market square, stunningly preserved medieval town walls and an imposing 13th century fortress. A short rail trip away and you can take a stroll along the promenade of the beautiful Victorian resort town of Llandudno.
Journey time: 2 hours (approx.)*.
Highlights: Conwy Town, Conwy Castle and Llandudno.
Conwy Valley Line, Blaenau Ffestiniog and Snowdonia
Today enjoy another rail trip to remember along north Wales' stunning Conwy Valley line taking you in to the heart of the Snowdonia National Park. You may choose to stop at the village of Llanwryst to visit the beautifully restored Tudor Mansion at Gwydir Castle or the village of Dolwyddelan to hike up to the medieval tower offering spectacular panoramic views over Snowdonia. Arriving in traditional slate quarrying town of Blanau Ffestiniog you may choose to take the narrow guage historic steam train mountain railway winding down the side of the mountain to Porthmadog (please note this is not included in your rail pass). Return to Conwy in the evening.
Journey time: Depending on excursions/ day trips.
Highlights: Conwy Valley Line, Gwyddir Castle, Dolwyddelan Castle and/ or Blaenau Ffestiniog Mountain Railway.
Buckingham Palace, London, England
Finally departing Wales you'll cross over the border in to England and pass through the historic city of Chester on route back to London. A world away from the remote mountains of North Wales you can enjoy the vibrancy of the city and see some of the renowned sites such as Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London and St Pauls Cathedral.
Journey time: 3 hours and 20 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London and St Pauls Cathedral.
With memories of the lush valleys and mountains of Wales in your memory, use you rail pass to transfer back to the airport for your return flight home.
Rail tour: Wales by Rail
- 7 nights accommodation (suggested accommodations listed below).
- Full cooked Welsh breakfast each morning.
- Britrail Consecutive Passes (8 day).
- Adeo travel rail information including station details, journey durations and departure times.
- Toll-free calls to your Britain vacation specialist whilst planning your trip.
- Expert assistance during the planning of your trip and local number for advice during travel.
- Angel Hotel, Cardiff x 2 nights
- Fourcroft Hotel, Tenby x 1 night
- Lion Hotel, Shrewsbury x 1 night
- Dunoon Hotel, Llandudno x 2 nights
- Phoenix Hotel, London x 1 night
As our rail tours are fully customizable we can tailor the suggested accommodations for your particular quotation based on your preferences, budget etc.
Unless otherwise requested all suggested accommodations for our rail tours will be within walking distance or a short taxi journey from the local railway station.
- Upgrade your rail passes for First Class Travel.
- Enjoy a traditional Welsh Banquet at Cardiff Castle.
- Enjoy City Sightseeing Open Top Bus Tours in Cardiff, Liverpool, Chester, York and London.
- Purchase a London Visitor Travel card for your London travel needs.
- Enjoy pre-paid tickets for Madame Tussauds, the London Eye or the Tower of London.
- Experience a musical performance with West End theatre tickets.
CUSTOMIZE THIS TOUR!
- Add extra nights in any of your destination to explore further.
- Take a mini-coach tour or private tour from Cardiff to see some of the South Wales countryside and castles which are not readily accessible by public transport.
- Combine this tour with one of our other Britain rail tours.
- Have your own rail travel expert accompany you on your tour.
Rail tour: Wales by Rail
DEPARTURE DATES 2017/18
This self-guided tour is customizable and can be taken at any time throughout the year and starting and ending on any day of the week - simply let us know your preferred dates of travel!
Twin/Double - from GBP £775 per person.
Single supplements apply for solo travellers – please contact us for details
- Above pricing is an estimated "from" price based on mid-season travel (March/April).
- As this tour can be taken at any time pricing will vary dependent on departure day, date of travel, selected accommodations etc.
- Above pricing is based on suggested accommodations listed however please note that we can tailor your specific quote to accommodate your budget and preferences.
- Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room with one adult Britrail pass per person as specified.
- Prices are for land only travel and do not include flights.
- Prices are in GBP£ currency, for approximate amounts in other currencies please contact us.