10 days / 9 nights
England and Wales
Yes (subject to rail timetables)
+44 (0)2921 660 747
Rail tour: Rails of England and Wales
DAY ONE AND TWO
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff City and Cardiff Bay
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff, Wales
After landing in London use your rail pass to travel to the ancient land of Wales. Discover the Welsh capital of Cardiff from the Edwardian baroque architecture of Cathays park, the Victorian market hall and shopping arcades or the modern St Davids commercial centre. At the cosmopolitan Cardiff Bay you'll find the National Assembly for Wales, home of Welsh government, the cultural Millennium Centre and a vibrant restaurant and pub scene. A short train journey will take you to the welsh town of Caerphilly home to a stunning moated 13th century fortress at Caerphilly Castle whilst in the heart of Cardiff itself you can explore the city's stunning centrepiece at Cardiff Castle which combines Roman and Norman history with a gloriously lavish Victorian mansion.
Overnight: Cardiff x 2 nights.
Journey time: 20 minutes to London (via Gatwick/ Heathrow Express) followed by 2 hours to Cardiff (approx.)*.
Highlights: Cardiff City, Cardiff Castle, Caerphilly Castle and Cardiff Bay.
Conwy Castle and Llandudno
Travelling north along the England/Wales border then along the beautiful north Wales coastal rail line you'll arrive in the stunning medieval market town of Conwy. A real hidden gem seemingly frozen in time, Conwy is home to a traditional market square, stunningly preserved medieval town walls and an imposing 13th century fortress. A short rail trip away and you can take a stroll along the promenade of the beautiful Victorian resort town of Llandudno.
Journey time: 4 hours 30 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Conwy Castle and Llandudno.
Roman Chester and the Beatles' Liverpool
Chester, Cheshire, England
A short train ride will take you back across the border to England and the charming city of Chester, home to Roman City walls and gate towers, a Roman Amphitheatre, an impressive cathedral and the unique Tudor Facaded "Rows". A stone's throw by train is the vibrant contrasting city of Liverpool which was designated as European capital of culture in 2008 and where you'll discover a wealth of Beatles Heritage including Matthews Street, the Cavern Club and the Beatles Story Exhibition.
Overnight: Chester or Liverpool.
Journey time: 1 hour (approx.)*.
Highlights: Chester, Chester Cathedral, Liverpool City and Beatles Story (depending on overnight stay).
York City and York Minster
Cross the stunning Yorkshire countryside before arriving in the magnificent city of York, home to a wealth of historic and cultural sites such as the famous Shambles, Britain's first shopping street, the medieval city walls, gates and towers, Viking history at the jorvik centre and the National Railway Museum current home of the Flying Scotsman. The highlight of course will be exploring the iconic York Minster.
Journey time: 1 hour 50 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: York City, York Minster and National Railway Museum.
DAYS SIX AND SEVEN
Oxford, Shakespeare's Stratford and Warwick Castle
Anne Hathaway's House, Stratford-upon-Avon, England
From York, ride the rails to Birmingham your convenient hub in the heart of England. From here you can visit University city of Oxford where you'll experience the academic ambience of the college quads of Oxford University which once inspired the likes of Tolkien, CS Lewis and Oscar Wilde. Historic town Warwick and Warwick Castle are a short train ride from Birmingham as is Stratford upon Avon where you'll enjoy Tudor timberwork buildings and the abundant Shakespeare Heritage including his birthplace and Anne Hathaway's Cottage. Birmingham itself is a vibrant city with its historic town hall and cathedral or the modern shopping centres and fashionable canal side bars and restaurants.
Overnight: Birmingham x 2 nights
Journey time: 2 hours (approx.) - not including any day excursions.
Highlights: Birmingham City, Stratford-upon Avon, Shakespeare's Birthplace, Warwick Castle and Oxford University.
DAYS EIGHT AND NINE
London City and Sights
Using your rail pass to return to London take two days to explore the English capital. London is a thriving metropolis with a vibrant modern culture and rich history and heritage. Explore world renowned sights including Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, Trafalgar Square and the London Eye on the banks of the River Thames or enjoy the abundance of museums and galleries the city has to offer.
Overnight: London x 2 nights.
Journey time: 1 hour 30 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: London City, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and Tower of London.
Make your way to the airport for your return flight from Heathrow or Gatwick.
Rail tour: Rails of England and Wales
- 9 nights accommodation (suggested accommodations listed below).
- Full cooked regional breakfast each morning.
- Britrail Consecutive Passes (8 day).
- Adeo travel rail information including station details, journey durations and departure times.
- Toll-free calls to your Britain vacation specialist whilst planning your trip.
- Expert assistance during the planning of your trip and local number for advice during travel.
- Angel Hotel, Cardiff x 2 nights
- Dunoon Hotel, Llandudno x 1 night
- Westminster Hotel, Chester x 1 night
- Monkbar Hotel, York x 1 night
- Burlington Hotel, Birmingham x 2 nights
- Phoenix Hotel, London x 2 nights
As our rail tours are fully customizable we can tailor the suggested accommodations for your particular quotation based on your preferences, budget etc.
Unless otherwise requested all suggested accommodations for our rail tours will be within walking distance or a short taxi journey from the local railway station.
- Upgrade your rail passes for First Class Travel.
- Enjoy a traditional Welsh Banquet at Cardiff Castle.
- Enjoy City Sightseeing Open Top Bus Tours in Cardiff, Liverpool, Chester, York and London.
- Purchase a London Visitor Travel card for your London travel needs.
- Enjoy pre-paid tickets for Madame Tussauds, the London Eye or the Tower of London.
- Experience a musical performance with West End theatre tickets.
CUSTOMIZE THIS TOUR!
- Add extra nights in any of your destination to explore further.
- Take a mini-coach tour or private tour from Cardiff to see some of the South Wales countryside and castles which are not readily accessible by public transport.
- Combine this tour with one of our other Britain rail tours.
- Have your own rail travel expert accompany you on your tour.
Rail tour: Rails of England and Wales
DEPARTURE DATES 2017
This self-guided tour is customizable and can be taken at any time throughout the year and starting and ending on any day of the week - simply let us know your preferred dates of travel!
Twin/Double - from GBP £965 per person.
Single supplements apply for solo travellers – please contact us for details
- Above pricing is an estimated "from" price based on mid-season travel (March/April).
- As this tour can be taken at any time pricing will vary dependent on departure day, date of travel, selected accommodations etc.
- Above pricing is based on suggested accommodations listed however please note that we can tailor your specific quote to accommodate your budget and preferences.
- Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room with one adult Britrail pass per person as specified.
- Prices are for land only travel and do not include flights.
- Prices are in GBP£ currency, for approximate amounts in other currencies please contact us.