16 days / 15 nights
All of Britain
Yes (subject to rail timetables)
+44 (0)2921 660 747
Rail tour: Great Britain by Rail
Bath City and Roman Baths
Bath Abbey, Bath, England
After arrival in to Heathrow or Gatwick join the rail network and glide to Regency city of Bath. An opulent Georgian city granted UNESCO World Heritage Status, Bath is home to historic highlights including the Elizabethan Abbey, Pulteney Bridge and the Royal Crescent not to mention the spectacular Roman Baths and Pump Room.
Journey time: 20 minutes to London (via Gatwick/ Heathrow Express) followed by 1 hour 30 minutes to Bath (approx.)*.
Highlights: Bath City and Roman Baths.
Cardiff City, Cardiff Bay and Cardiff Castle
A short train ride takes you over the Welsh border to the Capital city of Wales, Cardiff. Discover this charming welsh city from the Edwardian baroque architecture of Cathays park and the Victorian market and shopping arcades of the city centre or the Welsh Assembly building and cultural centres at the modern Cardiff Bay. The highlight is the city's stunning centrepiece at Cardiff Castle.
Journey time: 1 hour 10 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Cardiff City and Cardiff Castle.
Conwy Castle and Llandudno
Conwy Castle, Conwy, Wales
Travelling north along the England/Wales border then along the beautiful north Wales coastal rail line you'll arrive in the stunning medieval market town of Conwy. Explore this historic market town with stunningly preserved medieval town walls and an imposing 13th century fortress. A short rail trip away and you can take a stroll along the promenade of the beautiful Victorian resort town of Llandudno.
Journey time: 4 hours (approx.)*.
Highlights: Conwy Castle and Llandudno .
DAY FOUR AND FIVE
Roman Chester and the Beatles' Liverpool
Crossing back over the border in to England arrive in Roman city of Chester, home to an excavated Roman Amphitheatre, city walls and gate towers, an impressive cathedral and the unique Tudor Facaded "Rows". A short train ride away is the vibrant city of Liverpool which was designated as European City of Culture in 2008 and is home to a wealth of Beatles Heritage including Matthews Street, the Cavern Club and the Beatles Story Exhibition.
Overnight: Chester x 2 nights.
Journey time: 1 hour (approx.) - not including any day excursions.
Highlights: Chester City, Liverpool and Beatles Story.
Windermere and the Lake District
Enjoy a scenic train ride into one of England's most renowned areas of countryside in the Lake District. After arriving in Windermere, travel by local bus or take a tour to explore the lakes and their surrounding fells, woodlands, stone walls and quaint market towns and lakeland villages. Possible cultural visits include Wordsworth's Rydal Mount and Beatrix Potter's Hilltop.
Journey time: 2 hours 45 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Lake District.
Glasgow City, Glasgow Cathedral and Kelvingrove Museum
Merchant City, Glasgow, Scotland
A rail journey through the rolling hills of the Scottish Lowlands takes you to Scotland's largest city, Glasgow. Explore the Victorian monuments of George Square, the bustling Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow Cathedral and necropolis, Kelvingrove Park and Museum before enjoying a vibrant Scottish nightlife around the fashionable bars of the Merchant City or the West End.
Journey time: 3 hours 45 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Glasgow City and Kelvingrove Museum.
Inverness City, Culloden and Loch Ness
Contrasting to the lively Glasgow today travel north in to the wilderness of the Scottish Highlands on route to Inverness. After checking in to your hotel you may choose to take a bus ride to nearby Culloden Moor or boat trip down the river Ness to Scotland's most famous Loch at Loch Ness. On the shores of the loch you may choose to visit the iconic Urquhart Castle, and ideal lookout for some Nessie spotting.
Journey time: 3 hours 30 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: Inverness City, Loch Ness and Culloden Moor.
DAY NINE AND TEN
Edinburgh City, Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Yacht Britannia
Edinburgh Castle, Edinburgh, Scotland
Returning south arrive in the romantic Scottish capital city of Edinburgh. Spend the next two days exploring the city, from the twisting alleys of the cobbled old town to the sweeping avenues of the opulent Georgian new town. Possible visits include the queen's residence at the Palace of Holyrood House, the Royal Yacht Britannia, the Scottish Parliament building, a host of museums and the crowning glory at Edinburgh Castle.
Journey time: 3 hours 30 minutes (approx.) - not including day excursions.
Highlights: Edinburgh City and Edinburgh Castle.
York City and York Minster
Cross the border back in to England on the high speed rail link to York. Discover this magnificent city home to a wealth of historic and cultural sites such as the famous Shambles, Britain's first shopping street, the medieval city walls, gates and towers and the National Railway Museum current home of the Flying Scotsman. The highlight of course will be exploring the iconic York Minster.
Journey time: 2 hours 30 minutes (approx.)*.
Highlights: York City and York Minster.
DAY TWELVE AND THIRTEEN
Shakespeare's Stratford and Oxford University
Oxford Universiy, Oxford, England
Continue south in to the heart of England and arrive in vibrant city of Birmingham which will be your base for two days. From here you may choose to visit historic Oxford and Oxford University, the medieval market town of Warwick and Warwick Castle or Stratford-upon-Avon, a picturesque, town of Tudor timberwork buildings, abundant in heritage site dedicated to its most famous resident thegreat bard himself, William Shakespeare.
Overnight: Birmingham x 2 nights.
Journey time: 2 hours 20 minutes (approx.) - not including day excursions.
Highlights: Stratford-upon Avon, Sheakespeare's Birthplace, Oxford University and Warwick Castle.
DAY FOURTEEN AND FIFTEEN
London City and Sights
Returning to London take two days to explore the English capital. London is a thriving metropolis with a vibrant modern culture and rich history and heritage. Explore world renowned sights including Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, Trafalgar Square and the London Eye on the banks of the River Thames or enjoy the abundance of shopping opportunities, museums and galleries the city has to offer.
Overnight: London x 2 nights.
Journey time: 2 hours (approx.)*.
Highlights: London City, Westminster Abbey and Tower of London.
Make your way to the airport for your return flight from Heathrow or Gatwick.
Rail tour: Great Britain by Rail
- 15 nights accommodation (suggested accommodations listed below).
- Full cooked regional breakfast each morning.
- Britrail Consecutive Passes (15 day).
- Adeo travel rail information including station details, journey durations and departure times.
- Toll-free calls to your Britain vacation specialist whilst planning your trip.
- Expert assistance during the planning of your trip and local number for advice during travel.
- Abbey Hotel, Bath x 1 night
- Angel Hotel, Cardiff x 1 night
- Dunoon Hotel, Llandudno x 1 night
- Westminster Hotel, Chester x 2 nights
- Burnside Hotel, Windermere x 1 night
- Jurys Inn Hotel, Glasgow x 1 night
- Royal Highland Hotel, Inverness x 1 night
- Parliament House Hotel, Edinburgh x 2 nights
- Monkbar Hotel, York x 1 night
- Burlington Hotel, Birmingham x 2 nights
- The Phoenix, Bayswater, London x 2 nights
As our rail tours are fully customizable we can tailor the suggested accommodations for your particular quotation based on your preferences, budget etc.
Unless otherwise requested all suggested accommodations for our rail tours will be within walking distance or a short taxi journey from the local railway station.
- Upgrade your rail passes for First Class Travel.
- Enjoy City Sightseeing Open Top Bus Tours in many of your destination cities.
- Purchase a London Visitor Travel card for your London travel needs.
- Enjoy pre-paid tickets to the Royal Yacht Britannia, Shakespeare's Houses, Madame Tussauds, the London Eye or the Tower of London.
CUSTOMIZE THIS TOUR!
- Add extra nights in any of your destination cities to explore further.
- Add extra nights in Aberdeen or Durham to explore these interesting cities.
- Combine this tour with one of our other Britain rail tours.
- Have your own rail travel expert accompany you on your tour.
Rail tour: Great Britain by Rail
DEPARTURE DATES 2017/18
This self-guided tour is customizable and can be taken at any time throughout the year and starting and ending on any day of the week - simply let us know your preferred dates of travel!
Twin/Double - from GBP £1,509 per person.
Single supplements apply for solo travellers – please contact us for details
- Above pricing is an estimated "from" price based on mid-season travel (March/April).
- As this tour can be taken at any time pricing will vary dependent on departure day, date of travel, selected accommodations etc.
- Above pricing is based on suggested accommodations listed however please note that we can tailor your specific quote to accommodate your budget and preferences.
- Prices are per person based on two people sharing a twin/double room with one adult Britrail pass per person as specified.
- Prices are for land only travel and do not include flights.
- Prices are in GBP£ currency, for approximate amounts in other currencies please contact us.